Thursday, December 17, 2009

The Fifth Day of Tradition

Decorating:When I was a little girl, I would help my mom get out our artificial tree, set it up, and decorate it. Now, my daughter helps me get out the artificial tree, set it up, and decorate it. The same tree. Yep, the tree that is as old as I am is still around and in our living room. Of course, I didn’t always have it. When Aaron and I were early married, we bought our very own $20 tree. It was all of five feet tall and had thin little branches. But it was our tree and we were very proud. When Taylor was two, we thought it might be nice to eventually get a bigger tree, but were in no rush. However, my parents were looking for a smaller tree, since my brother and I were grown and they didn’t want to mess with a six foot tall tree. We decided to trade trees, which ended up being the perfect solution for everyone.




Of course, you can't forget the stockings, hung over the fireplace. If you look closely, you'll see that there is nothing holding them in place except for the picture frames that they are tucked under. This isn't really the best solution, and I'm sure one of these days they will fall, causing the frame to hit somebody (probably myself) in the head. But, until that happens, or I find a better way to hang the stockings (or Christmas ends and we put them away - the most likely of all options), this is how they hang.

No comments: