Sunday, December 20, 2009

The Eighth Day of Tradition

It looks like we have reached the week of Christmas, and time to talk about the eighth tradition: family. I have plenty of not-so-pleasant memories of extended family and Christmas from my childhood (that will not be shared here and now – trust me, there isn’t a blog big enough for all that). As a result, we have worked out a strict holiday schedule so there are no surprises or guilt trips. Christmas Eve is always spent with my family. Christmas morning we have our little family time, during which we read the Christmas story (and this year, we are adding a new tradition of having our Birthday Biscuit Breakfast on Christmas morning). Christmas lunch is with Aaron’s grandparents and extended family. We enjoy one more Christmas, with Aaron’s parents, siblings, and their families; this is the only one that isn’t scheduled ahead of time, but it is usually the weekend after Christmas. I am very thankful that the family we visit is close to us – the furthest we travel is Owasso or Mounds (depending on which of Aaron’s grandparent’s we see that Christmas). The one sad part about this Christmas is the family that will not be here. My brother will remain in China until January, when he comes back for a month long visit. Nevertheless, I know that Christmas is more than just a day, and we will celebrate our time as a family when he does return. In the meantime, I am thankful for emails, blogs, and Facebook as a way to communicate with one another while we are apart.

Last year's Christmas with Grammy.

No comments: