Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Brother's Birth


The first contraction began at 4:00pm Saturday afternoon, though I wasn't sure if I was really in labor. I called Ruth, our midwife, around 7:30. She came to the house to check me. Since I was early in the process, she went home to gather her supplies and call her assistant. Those helping with the birth arrived at the house between 9:30 and 10:30. In between contractions, I moved around the house to wherever I felt comfortable at the time. Finally, around 1:00am I was able to get into the birth tub, where I continued to labor. Aaron came in the tub with me while Ruth and my two friends supported and cared for me from the sides of the tub. I pushed for six minutes and Baby was born. Although Sister ended up not being in the room when he was born (she was busy playing with Grandma in her room), she came in immediately after to greet her brother. Mama and baby are both very healthy (I didn't even require any stitches!). Brother spent most of the day Sunday sleeping in our arms, uninterested in anything else. However, come evening he started to wake up and discovered that he loves to nurse. We are having a great time as a family and are incredibly grateful for a healthy pregnancy, amazing birth, and sweet baby boy.









No comments: